Friday, March 9, 2012

Idealism

I have known for many years that I really should avoid talking about politics. It's not that I don't care. It's not that I am completely uninformed, though completely is the operative word there. I do not claim great knowledge or deep political insight.
It's that my motto for politics is this; "Why can't we all just get along?"
I realize how invalid this is based on the reality of centuries of cycling history, yet I still blindly wish that we could somehow quit hating each other and reach a point of mutual acceptance.
I know it's absurd.
It may make you laugh.
The naivety of the idea might make you cry.
I don't want to hate you.
I don't want you to hate me.

Each of us have something that captivates our energy and our thoughts. I've tried to understand this. My failing to understand political disagreements, hatred and war originates in my personal life. Most of my energies have been focused on connection and acceptance. There is little room for either of these on a personal level in the realm of political discussion.

I will try not to be too hard on your politics.
I will try to understand that our divergent, though sometimes trivial, desires will continue to lead us against each other in the global arena.

I know that this is naive.
I know that tomorrow some of you will kill others of you.
I hope you will think about this before you pull the trigger.
The man in your sights is you.

I hope we can meet one day.
That we can shake hands and share a meal.
And be better off for having done so.


No comments:

Post a Comment